Thursday, November 3, 2011

I Remember...

Sometimes something so small can bring evoke a memory. For me, it's the smell of Nag Champa or Egyptian Musk or Sandalwood or whatever scent it was that Armstrong wore.

And whenever I smell that pungent body oil I remember how I met Armstrong, a friend of a friend I met one day while cutting school. I remember how deep his voice was. Too deep for him to call my house since I was thirteen and he was seventeen. I remember my mother forbidding me to see him since he was older and most likely sexually experienced.

I remember how I ignored my mother's warning and saw Armstrong anyway.  We lived in the same neighborhood, he went to my neighborhood high school and I was bound to see him again anyhow. I remember how cute he was... light skin, curly hair, big brown eyes, full pink lips, and dimples.

I remember how he invited me to his house one Sunday. I ate my first vegetarian meal since his family were strict vegans. I remember how I met every one in his home since they all sat down and ate together (My family only did this on holidays.) I remember this was the first time I heard Black people speaking German because his grandfather was German. I remember after the meal when we sat in front of his house and kissed. I remember sitting in between his legs. He lived on the same block where they shot the opening scene of the movie Maid in Manhattan. I remember how he removed the earrings from my left ear, all three earrings. I remember how he whispered in my left ear with that deep voice of his. I remember how he licked my left ear from the lobe to the helix, the scapha, concha, external meatus, tragus and everywhere in between. I remember how he bent my ear and licked right in the back... you know... right there. I remember how he blew on my ear to dry it. I remember how other parts of me could not be blown dry. I remember how he put back all three of my earrings. I remember thinking that my mother's concerns of me being thirteen and dating someone seventeen were on point.

I remember asking one guy who wore that same fragrance what the name was but for some reason I cannot remember that - just its sweet, lingering scent. Every time I smell it, which is every once in a while, I remember that Sunday afternoon. That was over twenty years ago and I remember that like it was yesterday...

8 comments:

KayC, The Quiet Storm said...

I bet you do remember! ;-)

Funny how a scent or something so small can trigger a memory in such detail that it almost physically takes us back to that exact moment in time.

Just Kel said...

I actually saw Armstrong a couple of years ago and he had not changed a bit. I thought (since I had changed a lot) that he wouldn't recognize me but he did. I appreciated that.

His voice is still deep and he's still so damned handsome and he still had the same effect on me that he had when I was 13.

He gave me his number but I never called...

Just Kel said...

Yes KayC! Something so small can trigger something so big. It just shows how vivid some memories are...

Mizrepresent said...

Girl, i could see you! lol! It's funny how the smallest of things trigger memories that last a lifetime. Creative folks have it bad, sounds, sights, and scents can send us tripping down memory lane. Your memory evoked one of my own, of Sherlock. He was also 17 and i 13. He was also lightskinned, and had the softest cheeks i could ever remember. He smelled so good and held me so gently while dancing to "The Isley Brothers", "Make Me Say It Again". Thats a long record and i just remember how i felt like the luckiest girl in the world that he picked me to dance with.

Just Kel said...

@Miz... Wow @ our guys & the similarities.

Somehow I can see your memory and I'm singing in my head... You're all I need (Ah, yes you are)

:-D

wenbin wang said...

t-shirts etc. by this label Franklin Marshall are thought to be very comfortable. Abercrombie Fitch clothing is deemed as a performer in their clothing line. the north face outlet The clothes and accessories from Abercrombie Fitch clothing focus urbanity and lifestyleMoncler Jackets couture.

Vivian said...

For everyday tasks to complex projects and programs, Microsoft Project 2010 combines powerful planning capabilities with advanced collaboration tools to help your agency set realistic expectations - and manage time, personnel, and resources to stay on time and budget.Project 2010 download gives individual users an intuitive, easy way to lay out tasks and timelines

Dawn Herdt said...

Google: Sevan Bomar and The Code to The Matrix.