Wednesday, August 15, 2007

SellOut

About 2 weeks ago I was at home listening to the radio because music truly does rule my world. For instance I have a radio in every part of my home, the bathroom, livingroom, kitchen, bedroom. Well not every part because there are none in the closets yet. So I'm listening to the radio and I hear this really nice song that speaks to my heart, "Bruised But Not Broken" by Joss Stone. I wasn't really a fan of hers before hearing the song and so I bought the CD. It's ok. There's a few cuts that I love and I swoon to. The fact of the matter is that the girl can sang and I like good music so what in the world am I trying to say...?

Am I a sellout?

See a few months ago I bought the Amy Winehouse CD and I heard "Rehab" on MTV and I was like whoa who is that chick singing about going to rehab sounding very much like she's got some kneegro in her blood? I ran and bought the CD and was blasting it in the car for a whole weekend straight when my partner turns to me and says "ok, this girl is all right but you know you're a sellout".

I've been relaxing my hair since forever began and buying 2 CDs by really great sounding vocalists makes me a sellout? She could come a little better than that. And she better be glad I didn't bring over my Alanis Morisette collection or my John Mayer because that boy has a special place in my heart.

I'm a good music lover not a Black music lover because let's face it, not all Black people can sing and I am talking about the Black people with recording contracts not just the brothers and sisters you hear sweating and wailing in church or the ones you hear on public transportation who have to know that if they blast their MP3 players and sing at the same time that they are loud and wrong.

Well I'll be that... a sellout for listening to cuts like "He Can Only Hold Her" by Amy Winehouse, "Head Over Feet" by Alanis Morisette, "Your Body Is A Wonderland" by John Mayer or "What Were We Thinking" by Joss Stone. I love my music from Aretha Franklin to Ziggy Marley and all of the musical genres in between.

2 comments:

deepnthought said...

You are not a sell out. I love Music. I mean Love it. I live and breathe it. I sometimes dream in the form of musicals.

I have Alanis, John, and Fall Out Boy. If it is good and speaks to me then I got it. I refuse to be called a sell out. So therefore neither are you. lol

Ms.Honey said...

Girl you are NOT a sellout you just love good music. That's like me listening to Shania Twain..homegirl sings and that's all I gotta say LOL