Wednesday, August 25, 2010

aaliyah

this angelic singer with a baggy b-girl style, had ladies across the land rocking their long black hair (real or purchased) over one eye… well i know i did… this slim lady with abs that were highly admired and enviable. she held the poise of someone who r. kelly sang about in his song homie, lover, friend.  she was pre-ciara, pre-alicia, pre-keri... pre-beyonce.

aaliyah transitioned from this life nine years ago today… i always remember where i was when i heard the news… laying in my bed, listening to the radio and hoping that hot97 was reporting a rumor… i remember how devastated my nephew felt.  he thought that everyone lived to be old, nobody died when they were young....

 * * * * * * * * * * * * *
give me the original of anything. i appreciate the real, not the duplicated... i just find that the redone is usually sub-par... but i have stumbled something that i feel is a gem.

aaliyah revisited is a collaboration album released by soul culture this time last year to commemorate aaliyah… with artists like jesse boykins III, marsha ambrosius and sy smith… a few not so mainstream artists…  they have redone some of aaliyah’s hits. jesse boykins III has a voice like butter… as my mother would say… his voice is smooth and wispy-like… and when he sings I care 4 u my insides melt like butter… 

if it was possible to "neo-soul" aaliyah, it has been done with this project... and it can be downloaded for free! just by clicking here...

RIP Aaliyah Dana Haughton (January 16, 1979 - August 25, 2001)














9 comments:

blackstarr said...

Nice remembrance of a talent gone way too soon for my tastes. I suppose that the Lord had His reasons.

I am "old", and not a frequent listener to the radio, so, most of the names that you mentioned who are on the tribute compilation are foreign to me, but on your sayso, I will check it out. Thx.

blackstarr said...

Back already. Downloaded the music and my ears are soooo impressed. I think I've found some delicious artists to add to my collection. Thx so much. Peace.

Just Kel said...

Thank you Freedom! And you downloaded... nice. I actually didn't know a couple of those artists when I first listened but I'm glad I found that site.

Luv said...

it's hard to believe it has been 9 years... i still remember what i was doing too..
she was a gem..so real so down to earth..
that rock the boat video is still my joint! i loved how she was SEXY without being a mess like some of those that came after her... and you forgot pre-Ashanti...oh baby

Unknown said...

I remember sitting in front of the television just watching everything in shock. I still see the images.

She was so beautiful.

I love her music and still listen to it as if it just came out yesterday.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Just Kel said...

@luv... haha! i did forget ashanti... hmmm i wonder how that happened. lol...

@queen... she was beautiful. i still listen to her music too - her original songs and the "revisited". she had excellent producers who complemented her gift.

KayC, The Quiet Storm said...

I always loved her videos. Aaliyah and Fatimah (the choreographer) made a great team. Can't believe it's been that long already. My how time does fly by!

Mizrepresent said...

Beautiful tribute for wonderful, talented singer.