Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Tap Into Your Magic...


Another memo from the establishment has been circulated... 200 to 375 positions will be cut... all based on seniority... least seniority or most? No one knows...

The other night I go to sleep and dream that my department goes from 6 staff members to 3 and I'm one of the 3 cut...

I need a raise in the worst way... Obama did all right with the $30 stimulus in my check... but the establishment?... they keep pushing my raise back... or forward... we're looking at May for some of the 4% raise...

we're thoroughly spent / them bills are stacked up / the budgets bent / and our credits jacked-up

I simply love Amel Larrieux's music... and especially her Morning CD. She wrote this song called Magic. And that's exactly what I thought about when I read today's memo... with the typos and the inappropriate slang use from our professional union... a union who rips fees from my check every 2 weeks that at this point serves little to no purpose... for me....

the stress level's high and the morale's low / and when it's lookin' like you're about to blow / your mind to the moon / stop what you're doin' / tap into your


Magic...

I've got magic up my sleeves... between my fingers... and swirling around my cranium... I believe, without a doubt, that I'm going to make it through this financial cycle... unscathed... I have skills and hustles that are marketable... I think outside the box and I'm not beyond any job...

I'm thankful... for my mother who still has an extra bedroom for her children... and the fact that my parents are financially stable... the roles are reversing at this stage and age and I worry about them as they once worried about me...

magic... feels good soon as you add it / if you forgot you had it / well, it's right where you at kid / reach into you and drag it out / i'm talkin' bout that magic / however you can, you must grab it / jump, sit still, sing, laugh it's...

magic...

magic...

I'm frugal like a mutha! I can turn 15 cents into $15.00. Like Erykah sang in Cleva... my dress may cost $7 but I'll may it fly... and I'll tell you why, cuz I'm Cleva!...

I love being a Librarian but if the money is elsewhere... I will learn a new skill, pursue a new career...

And most of all... I am resilient... sure sometimes my spirit breaks and tears seep from my eyes, but I've got tenacity... not easily broken...

Sister Brandi wrote of a Proverbs 31 Woman... and her post is on point!

And I close with this... Proverbs 31:25 "Strength and dignity are her clothing, And she smiles at the future."

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope everything works out for you.
I know this is wrong on many levels, but someone told me if there is one thing black folks do . . .it is survive. . many of us have never had much money.

I know you love your job, and I hope you get to remain on the job. However if . .IF. . I do believe that you will make it through. You have a strong faith in God so I know he will guide you through.

Lately, I have been trying to be thankful I got a job, but it is getting so . . I am getting stress headaches walking in the building.

So, I am to the point where I could care less but I got two others who depend on me.

I am already trying to make three dollars somewhere else. . cause I know I am going to walk away soon.

Hang in there my lovely Queen.

KayC, The Quiet Storm said...

I feel you, sister. My job is also in the midst of layoffs and budget cuts. Our salaries are frozen for next year and job duties are being piled on others as people leave.

I understand, and although thankful I have a job, it is extrememly frustrating. I too am still trying to tap into my magic.

Great post! Keep them coming so we can continue to help each other down this road.

ChpterReads said...

It was always said to me that in times of struggle and turmoil to lean a your head on the shoulder of the Lord and he will guide you through, and I believe that is what you're going to do. Just be still and know that he is in the middle of everything and nothing passes unless it goes through him, and I believe you will be ok.

I know that sometimes when we're in the midst of trouble that we get doubtful but I praise your tenacity and your optimistic ways... I know things will work out...

Keep the magic alive.. Awesome post

Monique said...

Despite it all, I sure hope you aren't one of the ones to get cut. i'll be praying for you.

Just Kel said...

Insatiable... *smiles* I thank you Sis. I am praying that some of the budget is restored. Those who leave due to retirement or pursuing other jobs, great, but those of us who need our positions...

Liryc... You're so darn positive now that you're leaving us, aint you?! LOL... Thank you Miss. I do appreciate your kind words and encouragement.

Kay C... Me and you, once again linking arms and lifting prayers. My positive thoughts are with you and those you work with. I know all about inheriting other people's workload and it's no joke.

Queen... If I had a summer house, 2 cars, a mortgage and school payments to make, this post would be way different... Poor folk sure do survive tough economic times. I should have also posted about being grateful for food pantries and goodwill...

I thank you for your positivity and encouraging words. And for you... hang tough, I know you're gonna give them folks the Dave Chappelle good-bye when your time comes.