Monday, October 6, 2008

And in the midst of it all...

This past Saturday, October 4th, I celebrated my 33rd birthday.
Life is funny because I kept telling my peeps that I didn't want anything big for my birthday way before last Monday but still my guy wanted to do something and my friends wanted to take me out and since I celebrate for the month, I'm not quite done celebrating.

Friday
I went to church, believe it or not. It was an important service and I really wanted to get out of the house. Afterward me and my church friends went out to G-Bar, this little ole place in the Bronx and I had a nice time. I don't know if I was actually tipsy over the vanilla & chocolate martini or because I was up pretty early that morning. The food and drink was delicious.
And I'm so appreciative to my buddies for taking me out to celebrate my birth.

Saturday
I had an epiphany Saturday morning while exercising that I was going to be going out of state to this restaurant I have been dying to try. Well when my guy hit the turnpike I knew we were indeed heading to Joe's Crab Shack and in every way it lived up to its commercial. It's a shack and they have some banging seafood. I actually took pictures of the food but I haven't had a chance to go home to get them off of the camera in order to post them.
Then we came back to NY and did another simple thing I wanted to do which was go to the movies. We went to see "Lakeview Terrace" but after getting the tickets the usher told us to go into another theater where they played "The Express" which isn't actually released until next week and then Lakeview Terrace afterward. Two movies for the price of one!

Sunday
Church day, all day.
The youth choir bought me a card and a hand bag. That gladdened my heart.

Today
My co-worker FP bought me a Junior's chocolate cheesecake. Delicious! It's a big ole cake so I didn't eat my lunch in order to have a taste.
My other co-worker bought me Russian truffles. Oh the joy!
I love chocolate. I can have chocolate and coffee for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And since I'm a foodie, you can't go wrong buying me something delicious.

My father just called and told me I was doing too much and he can't understand why. "Communication is so important", he says. As if I haven't been speaking to him several times each day. If only he knew how much I don't like talking to folks! I wanted to scream at him that I was doing too much because he put $200 in my hand and told me to buy a dress, wig, earrings, stockings, slippers, gloves and underwear for his mother but instead I said, "Ok Daddy, I'll call Ms. Mason this evening and ask her to pick up the dress if she finds something by her job".

I'm learning not to take small things serious anymore.

I was reminded by one of my friends that I have to come up with 33 things that I want to do differently and another list began to emerge in my mind immediately. If and when I compose a list, taking things too seriously definitely will definitely be there.

8 comments:

clnmike said...

Chocolate cheesecake, man my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Kiayaphd said...

Happy Belated Birthday to my Chocolate Chasing Twin!!!

Sounds like you had an awesome weekend even in the midst of grief and stress, that's great!

Continue to focus on life in order to keep the stress of death/grief under control.

Just Kel said...

The cake is delicious Clnmike. I have yet to finish it, it is huge!

Kiaya... Thank you! I am trying. I know once the funeral is over, then I will officially begin to regain control.

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! CELEBRATE ALL YEAR! I mean you will be 33 until you turn 34! Celebrate every DAY!

Everyday is a celebration! Wishing you continued joy and happiness!

(vixenchick) said...

happy birthday!

Just Kel said...

Sister Lovebabz… Thank you! That’s exactly my intention – to celebrate every day all year. Thank you!

Vixenchick… Well hello to you and thank you for my birthday greetings! May we establish a wonderful blog friendship.

Unknown said...

I missed your birthday :(

Well, happy belated birthday.
and many many more.

Just Kel said...

Queen... yes you missed it! lol - girl it's quite all right, i'm celebrating until the 31st, which reminds me, i need a mani and a movie.