Thursday, February 19, 2009

Who I'm Feeling...

India.Arie !




India.Arie has provided quite a few soundtracks for my life. She's a friend in my head and of course she's a Sister Libra so that makes her magnificent. She moves me with her words, her lyrics, her statements, her simplicity.


In 2001 she came out with Acoustic Soul and blew me away with "Brown Skin", "Ready for Love", "I See God in You" and my favorite "Strength, Courage & Wisdom". 2001 was a helluva year and India's music provided solace for me.


In 2002 she came out with Voyage To India... and produced my mantras "Talk To Her", "The Truth" and "Slow Down". When I'm feeling out of sorts, I'll throw on "Slow Down" and "Get It Together"and relax my mind and body.


"Get it together
You wanna heal your body
You have to heal your heart
Whatsoever is so you will reap
Get it together
You can fly fly"


And then in 2006, Testimony: Vol. 1, Life & Relationship came out and I rock the CD like it came out yesterday, especially now that I am going through my sorts with love. "These Eyes", "Good Mourning", "Private Party" and "I Am Not My Hair" (my hair transition ain't NO JOKE!) are my token remedies.


Tuesday I was fortunate to see her on Good Morning America and her music is just as refreshing as it was 8 years ago. Her hair has changed, her style has changed and maybe it's me and our "friendship" but I see and hear her growth.


Testimony: Vol. 2, Love & Politics is in stores now and features Chocolate High feat. Musiq Soulchild (my other friend) and Therapy.


If you haven't watched her VH1 SoulStage, I'm pretty sure they'll be repeating her performance in the days to come.

No comments: