Sunday, November 18, 2007

Book Junkie

Friday, I went out in search of a gift for my mom. I know it was late of me since her birthday was Saturday but I had promised her I would to pick up the new book by Joel Osteen, "Become a Better You" and believe me when I say I totally forgot about buying my mom a gift until about 1:00 pm on Friday. So I head to Borders after work and I instantly find the book because it's on the bestsellers shelves. I should have gone straight to the line, paid for the purchase and been on my way home but I didn't because I'm in love, enthralled by book stores and I must look at the bargain titles on sale so I can see what I can purchase for $2.99 up to $7.99. There was nothing. No problem because now I'm on my way to the self help area, next religion, and lastly the cultural section where the African American authored books are.
Now my friends who happen to read this are probably thinking... ummm K., yeah, ummm everyone knows you love to read so how is it you just realize this? I actually love and support libraries, first and foremost because I'm part of the general public and I know how much libraries support the community, secondly, because I'm a librarian!!!!, lastly and sometimes more importantly, because the books are free. I try to get the newer looking books and although I'm a germaphobe, I have this belief that books are germ resistant.
I'm actually looking over titles, up and down, in the aisles and my heart is thumping in my chest. My eyes are frantically surveying and my arms are full of books I've selected and I stop myself because I feel like I do when I haven't had large amounts of sugar in about 4 days but on that 5th day, I decide to eat a chocolate bar or when I've deprived myself of bread and decide after being good to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich - I feel a rush and it feels goooooood. LOL
I decide to buy You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay and Transforming Anger: The HeartMath Solution for Letting Go of Rage, Frustration, and Irritation by Doc Childre, Deborah Rozman, and Matthew McKay, along with my mom's gift. If you get a chance, look them up in Amazon.
I headed the check out area satisfied, with my book addiction momentarily satiated. That is until this coming Friday when I head to Barnes & Noble for my next fix.

No comments: