Thursday, May 22, 2008

Jealous Green...052208


Before I begin, I am going to attribute my recent bout of jealousy to this grimy hormone called Estrogen...


It all started when I was sitting here at my desk bored at work. It started around 12:00 pm. I checked my Yahoo! email and wanted to see the caloric value of Krispy Kreme glazed donuts, thanks to CB's purchase of a box of them this morning. Kudos to me for only eating one while I'm here at work... but I have 1 stashed... for Ugly Betty and Grey's Anatomy.

So I decide to go to Bossip. Haven't been there to see the foolery in a while. I knew ahead of time that as I peruse through the pics and captions, my boredom will surely subside. I'm shaking my head at the craziness that I simply love when I come across a a pic of Jay & Bey (click on their names to see the picture I saw) and I get pissed. I have NEVER been jealous of their relationship, now marriage, ever. From day one, I've been proud of them. I can't even describe the feeling that came over me. All I know is that right now I can't stand them. The sight of them together makes me want to leave work early, go home and brood.

Then I was having an afternoon convo with CB when she decidedly became very serious as she tells me about her episode last night. This is usual for us... the bragging of our sessions with our significant others. But today all I wanted to do was bop her upside her forehead, just they do in those V8 commercials. I told her that I hated her. I don't mean it, of course, but I really do mean it. I hate her.

Okay... I know exactly why my jealous green is showing today and it's not all attributed to estrogen but I'm working through it.

eHow.com, one of my favorite sites on the planet says...

How to Deal With Jealousy
By Colette French

"Jealousy is an emotion that everyone has to deal with from time to time. Sometimes we feel jealousy from other people geared toward us and sometimes it's jealousy we feel in our own hearts toward someone else. Jealousy can be used in a good way, however, to provoke us to do more positive things in life, but when it's manifesting as an ugly emotion, it's not something you want to allow to linger. There are some things a person can do to get rid themselves of jealous feelings when they occur."

Instructions - Difficulty: Moderately Challenging


Step1

Practice to be a kindhearted person to others. If you set your mind to be nice and kind to people and value others, jealousy is much easier to get rid of.

Step2 (My fave)

Genuinely compliment others when you experience feelings of jealousy. If you compliment others, it helps you to remain focused on being kind again instead of allowing the negative emotion of jealousy to continue to fester.

Step3 (Another fave)

Divert your focus to think on good and positive things when you sense jealous feelings beginning to arise.

Step4 (OK my last fave)

Be thankful for your own blessings, skills and talents. It's never a good thing to always compare oneself to others. It's important to learn to be happy with yourself.

Step5

Understand that everyone is different and not everyone will have the same level of life nor will everyone have the same skills and talents. Know that you have your own gifts and talents and are special in your own way.

Step6


Understand the value of people. Respecting and honoring people is far more important than acquiring material things. If a person doesn't have true friends and family to share the material things with, what has a person really accomplished? Therefore, we must learn what's important in life and value people and our relationships, so that jealousy does not destroy us.

4 comments:

Monique said...

I'm with you on the jealous thing. I get that way occasionally but i just let myself fester in it and then move on. Sometimes other situations aren't as good as they really appear.

Just Kel said...

Hey Monique... I usually let the jealousy or any other emotion ride out. I'm still not feeling Jeyonce - NOT!

Anonymous said...

So you wanted to bop CB in the head? Isn't that a bit much? I'm a bit shocked to be honest. I understand how jealousy works, so i'm not mad a you. Next time let a sister know you really don't want to hear it at that time. Hope you feel better.

Just Kel said...

No I didn't REALLY want to bop CB in the head, it wasn't that serious at all. I have no problem expressing myself to CB and she knows that. As I've posted in the past, I consider CB a friend and I'm very happy that she's in a satisfying relationship.