Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Night of Dance...

Firebird
Last night I was treated... first by my sister-friend DC. Back in August she spent a full day trying to score mega cheap tickets for Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and she thought it kind to include me when she placed her purchase. Then I was treated by the dancers and the awesome melodies of Sweet Honey in the Rock.




It was orgasmic.


I grew up dancing. For 15 years I studied jazz and ballet. It's been years since I've been in a dance studio or under the training of a choreographer. When usually seeing a dance performance my body jerks because I too want to vibrate but last night I was still. In awe. Seeing the Alvin Ailey dancers has been on my to-do list since I was 25 years-old and finally I had the opportunity. More than an opportunity. It was an experience.


Revelations

Seeing the dancers twist and contort, beautifully lift and stretch their bodies. No more than bodies... their beings, I was spiritually stimulated, which was another jolt I needed from yesterday's funk.



Revelations

I have to go again. They had a lottery for future show tickets and even if I don't win, I must see the show again with my special friend. A show this rich in culture, spirituality and sensuality, it was enormous and enriching. I am still flying on my Ailey high.




Revelations

7 comments:

Kalyn said...

You know, reading what you're writing, it reminds me of my cousin. He owns a dancing company in Connecticut. He used to dance for Disney Japan and Broadway. He is just outside of New York. His website if you're interested is:

www.web.mac.com/jamesrobeydance

KayC, The Quiet Storm said...

I know the feeling. They will be in my city in February and I am definately getting tickets, especially to see them perform with Sweet Honey in the Rock.

I saw them do the "education abbreviated show" earlier this year. That was my first time seeing them but it will not be my last.

I started taking dance about a year ago and watching them is so inspiring. I was caught up like a kid!

The pictures are gorgeous, their lines are incredible. Did they perform the partners piece to "A Case of You?" I saw that one at the National Black Arts Festival and was elated.

Just Kel said...

Kalyn... I checked out the site. My curiousity is piqued. Thank you.

Kay C... They didn't perform "A Case of You". They performed the 2 that I mentioned in the post and another called "Go in Grace". Awesome. Get your tickets fast! I know you will enjoy the show.

clnmike said...

Sounds like it was a very special night.

I'll have to check them out when I got the chance.

ChezNiki said...

I used to dance too. Ballet, tap, African, jazz, dance troupe in Undergrad. I saw more DTH than Ailey growing up, because I took ballet for years growing up.

Now Im reduced to an occasional dance aerobics class at the gym
:-(

But I really feel like myself again when I dance. I have to find a way to get back into it... without making my knees mad!

Unknown said...

Yeah all those beautiful dark skin men will get you every time.

Oh wait were you talking about the dancing?

Let me stop just joking (a little)
Cause I am trying to determine if those men swing my way or the other way.
Okay okay back to the dance

I have never seen them live. Only on television so I know it would be wonderful in person cause on tv they do their thing.
Dag did I make any sense?

Well, I hope you get some future tickets and I hope that you are feeling better.

Kiayaphd said...

Where are you, ma? We're missing your "voice"?