Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Rep MY Hood




Eyewitness News
BROOKLYN - -- A possible hostage situation was unfolding late Sunday night in Brooklyn....



Here we (me and my guy) are relaxing on the couch, watching the news when we see the above news flash across the screen. Instantly I'm like, "Whoaaa dude, this is happening in YOUR hood". We run to the window and there are crowds everywhere, people are pointing up to the building where the young lady is holding young children hostage.

About a month ago, I'm walking to the train station in Brooklyn on my way to work when 2 young men snatch a woman's purse as she was walking to the train station. Now I am a bag lady. On any given day, especially when I'm commuting from Brooklyn, I've got 2 to 3 bags. This could have been me.

I happen to live in the Bronx, born and raised, and I'm not saying that women don't get their purses snatched or there are no hostage situations or even worse possible situations but when things happen when I'm at home I don't feel perplexed, in foreign land.

When I'm in my hood, I have my local precinct's phone number programmed in my cell phone for those just in case situations.
When I'm in my hood, I'm aware of the streets, the avenues, the cross streets and all localities.
When I'm in my hood, I'm not afraid.

Now I love Brooklyn. Brooklyn has the coolest vibe. They have the best mix of Southern Blacks, native New Yorkers and Caribbean folk. If you want to get your hair done at 6 in the morning or at 11 pm, there's a spot in BK that can hook you up. I love the Brooklyn retailers such as
Moshood and I can't forget Cake Man Raven, located in Brooklyn. Since I'm a non-meat eater, Brooklyn is simply the best place for satiating my veggie palate. Why? Because Brooklyn happens to be home to probably the largest Rastafarian populations outside of Jamaica.

When I first got with my guy, I was in love with Brooklyn. I wanted to relocate immediately. I could walk into the grocery store and hear music with words I understood. My little Caribbean accent came upon me with ease. My boyfriend didn't have any problems getting help whenever I was around because it appeared like I was a native. Even my co-worker CB (before we worked together and she didn't like me) thought I was from Brooklyn too.

But I love the Bronx even more... we've got the Yankees and I live just a few short blocks away from Yankee stadium. There's a Dominican hair salon on just about every corner where you can get your roots softened (like I just had mine done on Friday) for a minimal price because if anybody knows, Dominican women can soften some roughened hair! Mass transportation is hardly ever scarce in the Bronx, probably because it's not as large as the larger boroughs (Brooklyn & Queens). The Bronx is home to the best zoo and The New York Botanical Garden. If you want to go anywhere in upstate New York, you must come through the Bronx, also known as the Mainland, because no other borough connects to the rest of the state. We have our very own Little Italy with the best eateries, even though I wouldn't be caught there after dark, alone. Then there's City Island that offers the best seafood. On some nights when I've been bored, I've taken a walk to Washington Heights, which is located in Manhattan, with ease. We have our very own river, The Bronx River, which runs throughout the entire borough - it's beautiful but I wouldn't step anywhere near it. If you want a taxi, in most areas all you have to do is flag one. We too have our Caribbean population in the Northern Bronx. I love to take a drive up to the The Country Club area in the Bronx where you can find beautiful homes and mansions overlooking Orchard Beach. And it's probably best to be a little bilingual in the Bronx but through the good and the bad, the Bronx is so familiar to me.

However, now with all of the goings on.... The Bronx is more appealing. I spend a lot of my time in Brooklyn and for the past 3 years it feels like a 2nd home to me. But what I feel for the Bronx is more like a love affair, hot, steamy, electrifying. Say what you want about my borough but you better not talk bad about it because I simply won't stand for it!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Sadly I don't know the difference between the two even with your description. When I come to New York you are going to have to be my tour guide and show me.

Just Kel said...

Queen... Guess you have to see it to see the difference because it certainly is a big difference. LOL
When you come, be sure to holla. I'd love to be your tour guide.

Monique said...

When I was younger we lived in Brooklyn and surprisingly, my mother hated it (being from the South herself). When I was in college I returned and fell in love with the borough. I couldn't remember it from my youth but as a 20 year old in the city alone, it was awesome. Walking around the neighborhoods felt like home. Even going over to Queens (my bf at the time was from Jamaica Queens) was like home. Brooklyn is on the up and up.

Ticia said...

Whoa - that is something -
I don't know much abt NY - I would like to visit one day!!

Just Kel said...

Monique... Your mom didn't like Brooklyn being from the South? Usually Southern folks love Brooklyn. Don't get me wrong, I love BK but I love the Bronx more. It's my home.

Just Kel said...

Ticia... I'm so biased since NY is my hometown. There's no place like it. Hopefully you'll visit & hopefully I won't have relocated to be your guide. lol

Ticia said...

@ Ms... okay girl... I am trying to get out there soon - maybe in November -

KayC, The Quiet Storm said...

I think everyone has a love for their hometown that never really goes away.

I am planning a sistergirl trip to New York next year. Hopefully you will be available to show us around :) (I am hopping on the tour guide services band wagon)

Just Kel said...

Ticia & Kay C... just let a sista know and I'll gladly guide.